HomeHomeHomeHomeHomeHomeHome

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Incident



I love reading blogs where it seems like everything goes completely according to how they planned it. Well this is my life and I have learned that nothing ever goes according to plan and there are bumps along the road. So I am going to be honest and share one of our major bumps in the road.





The mirrors in our house are out to get us that is the only explanation that I have for the issues that we have had removing them. I mean first we had huge mirrors come crashing down as I described here. Then we had the mirror residue ruin our kitchen counter tops.





Okay so first the counter tops aren't ruined they just aren't as nice as they were when we moved in and it is all because of the mirrored backsplash. (The fact is I would prefer granite, but that is a different story.) The backsplash came down fairly easily, but left behind glue spots just like on the dining room walls.

My dad let us have some pretty gnarly adhesive remover. This stuff worked like magic. Dennis would rub it on the tile then scrape the large pieces off and then use a stiff bristle brush to remove the rest of the adhesive.........







Well we forgot to cover the countertops and a few of the large chunks landed on the top and "ate" the countertop. Literally it took the protective coast off and now we have rough spots. O' well so the counter top isn't perfect but I have learned how to strategically hide the spots. I have the spoon rest over one, a frame over another and the salt and pepper shakers over another. That only leaves one noticeable spot and I can deal with that. By the way the tile isn't perfect either but it is much much better than the mirrors.




So yes we may DIY things ourselves but hey we make mistakes just like everyone. Things aren't always going to go according to plan and you have to learn to live with it. Roll with the punches.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

2 comments:

Melissa said...[Reply to comment]

Sounds like nearly every project we take on ourselves! But I always tell my H that the money we have saved will pay for any of the mistakes that we make!

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

It looks like your counter tops are corian? I am pretty sure you can have them wet sanded and resurfaced. They are made of some sort of plastic composite material, and because of that are very durable and easy to repair, from what I have been told. Just thought I would let you know, so maybe you can check into it. Otherwise...the backsplash looks SSOOO much better. Blessings <3 Paula

Post a Comment